Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pistachio Product Recalls: Salmonella

If you want to check on specific pistachio product recall information, you can do so here.

My pistachios came from Trader Joe's so I decided to ask them to confirm - as FDA recommends we do - that none of their products came from the two suppliers noted in the link.

I filled out the Trader Joe's e-mail form on their website in detail, pushed the send button, and received one of those internal error messages.

So I called the store in Chapel Hill. Someone who answered the phone did not apologize for this breakdown, but assured me that all of their nuts are safe and not on the list.

I asked where I could read that on the Trader Joe's website and he told me that it is not there.

I said I wanted more authoritative assurance than just from someone who answers the phone. I asked for a corporate office number that I could call and he said their is no customer service option there and did not give me the number.

He said if I come into the store, I can see the e-mail that they received internally explaining this. I asked him t0 e-mail it to me; he said he could not because of the way their system operates and did not offer to mail me a copy.

At a time when so many of us are more concerned about what we eat, this lack of transparency, failure to offer a solution to my request, etc. is a real black-eye in my mind for Trader Joe's. They simply should do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment