Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chocolate

I have noticed two things here in France related to chcolate. One is that there is a lot of it, more than I ever recall. And second is that it is getting darker and darker.

When I went to Carrefour and a separate Carrefour Market to buy "bran flakes", I found none of them. Perhaps they were just out of stock, but what it looked like was that more chocolate-coated somethings had replaced the simple bran flakes. It is not just coating. I saw several that wrapped some sort of grain around a big hunk of chocolate as if to hide the chocolate! When I looked at the very-small-print calorie count, it looked at about the same elevation as one of those double-frappa-whatevers at Starbucks.

The second is all the packaging that screams out "dark" in some way. Much of it carries percentages, too. We never see this with other foods, do we? And none of it seems to promote any health benefits of dark chocolate, but goes right to the jugular, as with a Lindt print ad that says "discover the intense pleasure of a great dark chocolate".

No comments:

Post a Comment