Friday, November 30, 2012

Salt in chicken

I called Kroger today - 1-800-632-6900 - because I bought some fresh chicken breasts there this week that had nutrition labels on them. What I learned is that this is because they have "up to 15% chicken broth" added to them. The results it sodium at 180 mg/4 ounce serving.
Other packages of fresh chicken do not provide us with a base line with which to compare nutritional information. So, for the fresh chicken, how much salt is in it? The woman on the phone at Kroger told me that their nutritionist says there are "trace" amounts in the regular chicken.What is "trace"?
Perhaps others will join me in seeking labels for nutritional contents of fresh products as well as those that have been doctored in some way - from fresh as opposed to canned or frozen fruit and vegetables to all meats and fish, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment