Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dates on olive oil

I've bought three one liter bottles of olive oil recently. This was not for everyday use, but rather when I have something especially deserving of a dunk in the oil!

One is Bella Famiglia Extra Virgin Olive Oil - First Cold Extraction. That was at Weaver Street Market for about $8 as a I recall. It has no date on it telling me the vintage of the olives of the date of making the oil. It does tell me to consume it - "best by" - sometime in 2011.

The other two both came from COSTCO - their Kirkland brand. In this case, the label tells me that both bottles came from the 2009 harvest, in one case Oct/Nov and the other Nov/Dec (this makes sense to me). Both carry a "best by" date of 6/1/2011.

The Bella Famiglia was on sale - normally around 13, as I recall. The Kirkland was its normal price, around $12.

How can one tell from the label which is the better? If not, shouldn't there be aome other way to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment