Thursday, March 24, 2011

Milk, sweet potatoes, chicken, olive oil, bananas, raspberry tart, apricot danish, and tilapia in Nice

Yesterday, I bought a couple of liters of milk - ecreme or skimmed (but I need to understand better what this means as it is surely richer than the watery skim milk we see in North Carolina - at Inter Marche, Nice. They were the cheapest I could find of their type. French milk is generally not sold anywhere in containers larger than a litter or about one pint. The cost was 1.39 euros. That's about 7 USD/gal! The price of that milk seems high to me and I will look at other prices paid.

Bought US sweet potatoes for 3.40 euros at Carrefour Nice TNL.

And skinless chicken breasts at the same place - but labeled Carrefour Discount - for 7.83 euros.

Carrefour-labeled olive oil was 3.39 euros/liter, or about $17 USD/gal. It had some milky stuff in the bottom as did other olive oil, less expensive, that I found at Leader Price and did not buy. I am not sure if that stuff is a sign of anything bad or not. I will research it.

Bananas at Carrefour (Discount) were 1.29 euros/kg or about .85 USD/lb. They came from Cameroon and were treated with thiabendrazole whatever that is.

I bought two raspberry tartes at Carrefour and they cost about $2 USD each, or 3 euros for the two of them. Interestingly, the label says that they were 35% raspberries, 24% pastry, and not entirely clear what the other 40% was, but it was water and sugar for sure). Recommended time in which to eat - two days. No calories noted. Keep between 32F and 38F in the fridge.

Also bought two apricot "danishes" at Carrefour. They were about $1.50 USD each or 2.20 euros for the pair. What is notable about the labeling is that it shows only 18% apricot (high by my estimation!) and 15% butter! The rest is a bunch of stuff that I am not sure anyone would recommend we eat very often. Three days recommended time in which to eat them. Keep this one at room temperature which I failed to do; kept it in the fridge.

At Leader Price, frozen tilapia for 4.85 euros.

Remember one important point about prices and that is the prices in France all include the taxes; the purchase price at the checkout is exactly what it says on the shelf. In NC, the taxes get added at the end, and so everything is a little more expensive than it appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment